Identification of SEN

What are Cheam High School’s policies for identification of SEN students?

Admission Arrangements

The school does not differentiate between students with special educational needs and other applicants.

In the case of applicants with an EHCP who wish to be given special consideration, the school liaises with the local authority.


Any member of staff or parent/carer can refer a student for any of the categories of SEN. Information to support the referral will be gathered from one or more of the following as relevant:

  • previous schools
  • results of objective tests e.g. CATs
  • KS2 results
  • results of other tests available in school such as word recognition, spelling, words per minute
  • class teacher observations and assessments
  • tutor and year team observations or records
  • SEN Referral sheet completed by staff
  • Parents/carers
  • Examination or data collection results as appropriate 


How are students recorded on the SEN Register?

All students who have been identified as having Special Educational Needs will be registered on the school SEN register at School Support  (K) or as having an  EHCP ( E ). Information recorded will include  the category of need.

What does an Individual Education Plan contain?

All students with an EHCP will have an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) as appropriate which will include some or all of the following:

  • stage and category of Special Educational Needs
  • any other relevant information
  • overall aims
  • support provision 
  • short term targets together with actions required, assessment/monitoring procedures and outcomes
  • co-ordinator of IEP/BIEP (tutor, member of the Learning Support or Pastoral Team)
  • review date


A copy of the IEP is placed in the student’s file and on the CPOMS recording system, and another copy is sent home.