Support for learning and literacy
If your child has difficulty with learning and literacy .....
This may include difficulties with:
- Reading and spelling
- Learning new information and concepts
- Working with numbers
- Working memory
Students may have conditions such as Specific Learning Difficulties, dyslexia, general learning difficulties, AD(H)D, ASD, Fragile X, Down Syndrome.
Students may present with difficulties that do not have a specific title
What can Cheam High School offer?
All students at Cheam High School can access:
- Outstanding teaching with appropriate differentiation
- Visual aids and literacy posters to support key vocabulary and structures
- Let’s Think Programme for Key Stage 3 students to encourage meta-cognitive learning
- Literary and Numeracy activities in Years 7 – 8 tutor times
- Access to a homework support club
- Dedicated staff who value all students of all abilities
Support for targeted students may include:
- Fresh Start and Accelerated Reader Programme for students to support “catch-up” at Key Stage 3 in reading and phonics
- Where needed, help from an external agency (e.g. Educational Psychologist)
- Learning Support Assistants in some lessons
- Targeted lunch time clubs for vulnerable students
- Exam Access Arrangements
- Handwriting Programmes
- Strategies following testing using the LUCID Rapid Dyslexic Scrutiny assessment.
- Homework Club