CHS Bursary Policy 2017/2018
The Cheam High School Sixth Form Bursary Fund is designed to help and support any student who faces financial barriers to participation in education and training, such as costs of transport, food or equipment.
Eligibility – eligible students must be under 19 on 31st August 2017. This scheme is divided into two parts:
1. Guaranteed Bursary – A bursary of up to £1,200 a year for young people in the following defined vulnerable groups: in care; care leavers; young people in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit; and disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance who are also in receipt of Disability Allowance or Personal Independence Payments.
2. Discretionary Bursary – A bursary is available to Cheam High School Students not eligible for the full Guaranteed Bursary dependent upon individual circumstances and who reside in a household whose parents/guardians are in receipt of the following:
- Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit
3. Additional Help – Under exceptional circumstances students who are not automatically eligible for an award can also apply for help with one off course related expenses (proof of income or hardship will be asked for). Applications for additional help will be considered on an individual basis and is dependent on available funds
4. Conditions – All bursary payments will be directly linked to attendance, behaviour and academic commitment. The student must not have unauthorised absence or lateness from lessons or school.
5. Please note If you qualify for free school meals, then you will also qualify automatically for the discretionary bursary. Please see Mrs Davies for the necessary forms.
It is best practice to pay ‘in kind’ bursaries rather than cash, except in exceptional circumstances as advised by the Education Funding Agency.
Those students wishing to apply for bursary must complete the application form, which is available on the school website (Post 16 area), www.cheam.sutton.sch.uk, and must submit it no later than 30th October 2017. Please be advised that we cannot process the application for Bursary if the requested documentation is not provided. Please note that if your circumstances change after this date then you may still be able to apply for Bursary.
If you have any questions regarding the completion of the form, please contact Mrs Davies in the 6th Form Office on 0208 2546857.