Support for Speech, Language and/or Social Communication
If your child has difficulty with speech, language and/or social communication......
This may include difficulties with:
- Understanding language.
- Using language.
- Understanding how to communicate socially with other people.
- Stammering (Advice given to families about how to access support from outside agencies).
Conditions include: Specific Language Disorder, ASD/ASC (Autism), Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorders/delay.
Please see separate section of the website for EAL (English as an Additional Language) services in the school; this is not deemed a Special Educational Need and has a separate programme of support.
What can Cheam High School offer?
All students at Cheam High School can access:
- Outstanding teaching with appropriate differentiation
- Visual aids and literacy posters to support key vocabulary and structures
- Let’s Think Programme for Key Stage 3 students to encourage meta-cognitive learning
- Access to a homework support club
- Dedicated staff who value all students of all abilities
Support for targeted students may include:
- Assessment and identification of language need and feedback to parents and staff.
- LIPS speech and language programme
- 1:1 session with a speech and language therapist if need part of EHCP.
- Small group sessions in the SEN area with Learning Support Assistant Modules include: vocabulary, inference and deduction and language building blocks
- On-going monitoring and regular feedback to parents and students
- Exam access arrangements
- Different arrangements or additional support for social times (eg break, lunchtime)
- A trusted adult mentor to talk through changes
Visual cues and timetables