Message from your Sutton Safer Schools Officers about street robbery
Dear parents and carers,
Re. Message from your Sutton Safer Schools Officers about street robbery.
We’re working with Fearless the youth service from the independent charity Crimestoppers to spread messaging that will help keep young people safe from street robbery.
Fearless provides non-judgemental advice about crimes that affect young people. They also provide a safe place for young people to give information about crime 100% anonymously.
As your child/children travel to school, it’s worth reminding them of crime prevention advice that can help keep them safe on the journey to and from school or college:
- Be aware of your surroundings when out and avoid using your mobile phone in public or having valuables on display.
- Smart phones in particular are attractive to thieves – a more basic mobile phone will enable you to stay in touch but be less of a target. Register your mobile at immobilise.com to help police recover it if it’s ever stolen.
- Earphones can make you more vulnerable as you are less aware of your surroundings.
- Consider turning on the GPS on your phone when out and about, this can also be helpful to officers when attempting to locate stolen phones.
- Having conversations about the safest route home, avoiding shortcuts, is a good idea.
- Don’t confront a thief – it’s not worth risking your own safety for possessions that can be replaced.
Robbery is a serious crime that needs to be reported, this includes any attempts to rob people of their property. If you or your child see a robbery taking place then police can be called on 999 for an emergency response that will help provide the best chances of suspects being caught. It can be reported to police after the event on 101 or at www.met.police.uk.
If you witness a robbery, or know of any information and do not wish to report to police, then you can speak to Fearless 100 % anonymously at www.fearless.org.
Thank you for helping us keep young people safe.
Sergeant Sarah Tynan-Clark
Sutton Safer Schools Team