CHS Bursary Policy 2020/2021
The Cheam High School Sixth Form Bursary Fund is designed to help and support any student who faces financial barriers to participation in education and training, such as costs of transport, food or equipment.
Eligibility – eligible students must be under 19 on 31st August 2020. This scheme is divided into two parts:
Guaranteed Bursary – A bursary of up to £1,200 a year for young people in the following defined vulnerable groups:
- You are in or have recently left local authority care
- You are in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
- you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
- you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit
Discretionary Bursary – A bursary is available to Cheam High School Students not eligible for the full Guaranteed Bursary who face financial barriers to participation in education. Requests for bursary assistance are individually assessed and dependent upon circumstances and include:
- Students who have successfully claimed Free School Meals in the current academic year (2019/20).
- In receipt of Universal Tax Credit/Child Tax Credits
- Students whose household income is less than £25,000 (Please note total household income includes Universal Credit)
Additional Help – Under exceptional circumstances students who are not automatically eligible for an award can also apply for help with one off course related expenses (proof of income or hardship will be asked for). Applications for additional help will be considered on an individual basis and is dependent on available funds.
Conditions – All bursary payments will be directly linked to attendance, behaviour and academic commitment. The student must not have unauthorised absences or lateness from lessons or school.
It is best practice to pay ‘in kind’ bursaries rather than cash, except in exceptional circumstances as advised by the Education Funding Agency.
Those students wishing to apply for bursary must complete the application form, which is available below, and must submit it no later than 30th October 2020. Please be advised that we cannot process the application for Bursary if the requested documentation is not provided. Please note that if your circumstances change after this date then you may still be able to apply for Bursary. If you have any questions regarding the completion of the form, please contact the Sixth Form Management Team in the 6th Form Office on 0208 2546857.
PLEASE NOTE: All three of the following forms MUST be completed